Crisis Line & Safe House of Central Georgia, Inc. (CL&SH), located in Macon, Georgia, is hiring for the position of Legal Advocate. This is a full-time, hourly position.
Position Overview :
The Legal Advocate at Crisis Line & Safe House of Central Georgia serves as a liaison between victims of domestic and dating violence, stalking, and sexual assault and the civil and criminal justice systems. The advocate provides emotional support to victims while guiding them through the legal system, specifically to assist victims in obtaining temporary protective orders. This position is also responsible for providing support and advocacy to victims seeking non-residential services.
The Legal Advocate job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting clients with legal preparation of Temporary Protective Orders (TPOs) either by phone or in person
- Traveling, when necessary to meet client and/or prepare TPO for client
- Coordinating scheduling initial hearings with Superior Court Judges/Clerks
- Accompanying client to ex parte hearings as support and to guide clients through initial hearing
- Accompanying client to final TPO hearings, bond hearings, and other court dates as necessary to offer continued support for client
- Filing paperwork in the Superior Court Clerk’s office and ensure all legal documents necessary to validate the TPO are in place
- Assisting client with paperwork for final hearing if client is representing her/himself
- Acting as liaison between client and criminal justice system
- Referring clients to other social service or mental health agencies as necessary
- Maintaining working relationship with judges in order to maintain a reputation of efficiency, professionalism and reliability for CL&SH
- Providing services and support to victims seeking non-residential services through the agency, even when their needs cannot be met with legal advocacy.
- Answering the 24-hour crisis hotline and provides callers with support, and referrals, and facilitating intake into one of CL&SH’s other programs, if appropriate.
- Maintaining accurate client files and documentation of files in the organization’s database
- Maintaining additional documentation as necessary to complete grant reports
- Maintaining relationship with client in order to manage appropriate aftercare, offer encouragement and support, as well as track client outcomes
- Assisting in building community relationships and awareness of domestic violence issues through participation in community fairs and speaking engagements
Non-essential job responsibilities include:
- Assists in office coverage as necessary
- Assists in shelter coverage as necessary
Requirements of position applicants:
- Possess a four year degree in a human services field (psychology, sociology, criminal justice, etc) OR have at least 5 years of experience providing direct services to adults or children.
- Reliable transportation
- Some legal knowledge preferred
- Possess an understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence OR a willingness to learn more about the issue
- Possess an understanding of sexual assault and other sexually-based offenses OR a willingness to learn about the issue
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Willingness to submit to random drug screenings
- Willingness to understand and adhere to the confidentiality requirements of the agency
Other skills/abilities sought:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to type quickly and accurately
- Organizational skills
- Willingness and ability to learn and utilize an online client database system
CL&SH offers medical, dental and vision insurance, paid leave, and provides a retirement contribution. (The retirement contribution begins after 12 months of employment)
Hourly rate is $16.50-$20, based on education and/or experience.
To apply, send an email with a resume and cover letter (in .pdf or .doc format) to Jamie Bormann, Deputy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, however applicants are encouraged to apply before 5PM on Monday, July 25, 2022. No phone calls, please.
CL&SH’s mission is to provide community crisis intervention as well as safe shelter, comprehensive support, and recovery services for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence, and to educate the community about the cycle of violence and its prevention.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.50 – $20.00 per hour
Our organization requires employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19