Join Crisis Line & Safe House in recognizing
April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month Free virtual events are scheduled throughout the month
Crisis Line & Safe House of Central Georgia invites everyone to join communities across the nation in recognizing April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month by educating themselves about the topic and supporting survivors.
Sexual violence is any sexual interaction without a person’s permission or freely given consent. The crime of sexual violence affects people of all ages, genders, races, incomes, sexual orientation and religions. It goes by several names including rape, sexual assault, sex abuse, incest, sex trafficking and more.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one in three women, and nearly one in four men have experienced sexual violence involving physical contact during their lifetimes. Rape is estimated to have a lifetime cost of $122,461 per victim.
Locally, Crisis Line & Safe House provides assistance to more than a thousand survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence each year.
“We are now in our country’s second year when many people are working from home and avoiding our usual activities to help slow the spread of COVID-19. Unfortunately, some victims of sexual assault and domestic violence have been trapped in homes with their abusers with few opportunities for escape,” said Crisis Line& Safe House Executive Director Dee Simms. “It’s important for the community, and us as a rape crisis center, to provide resources and support when these victims and others among us reach out for help. While we raise awareness each April, our dedicated staff provides resources and safe shelter all year long.”
To practice COVID-safe behaviors, Crisis Line & Safe House is holding a number of virtual events during Sexual Assault Awareness Month including:
● April 6:Participate in the Sexual Assault Month Day of Action by donating to Crisis Line & Safe House at https://cl-sh.org/support-us/.
● April 9:Join our Virtual Book Club exploring “Know My Name” by Chanel Miller and discussing issues related to consent. For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/806905513543020/
● April 26:Join us in posting a selfie to social media while wearing a Take Back the Night T-shirt or the color teal to show support for sexual assault survivors. Use hashtag #IBelieveSurvivors2021.
● April 29:Attend our “Healing after Sexual Assault” survivor workshop from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Trained counselors from Crisis Line & Safe House will lead a discussion about healing and how to help loved ones who are healing from trauma. For more information, call 478-745-9292 or visit https://www.facebook.com/events/220096349865548/
● Help us light up social media all month long with flames of hope for victims and survivors. Update your profile photo with our candlelight frame to show your support in a month-long candlelight vigil. Get your photo frame by searching CLSHSAAM2021 in Facebook profile frames.